Saturday night, late, I dug into family history seeing whom I could come up with. I searched off hand for Oscar W LaGrange, the brother-in-law of my great-great-grandmother, Dolly Rhode Umiker. Someone some time back had recorded that Oscar's wife, Anna Rhode, had died and was buried in Portland, Oregon. My usual source for death records, interment.net, turned up nothing in Washington nor Oregon. It was nearing 11:30 pm and I didn't really expect to find anything at that hour. I entered "LaGrange, Oscar W" in Google and found his burial place and that of his parents and siblings! Beyond that, they were buried in Spokane, less than half and hour from my house!
We drove there after lunch and searched for about forty-five minutes. Kent went one way and I another with Maggie, Reagan and Elijah. Elijah was enjoying the walk and didn't even seem to mind when he sat in an ant hill -- though it gave Maggie some bad flashbacks and she freaked a little. Elijah liked to go his own way and more than once I had to turn from where I was headed and retrieve him. One last time, I went to pick him up saying that if he wanted to walk, he had to follow me. As I stood, I looked ahead about eight feet in the direction Elijah had been walking, and there it was in big letters. . .LAGRANGE.

10 May 2009
What I did on Mother's Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
See mom. He knew where he was going!
Post a Comment