22 May 2008

old favorite made new

One of my favorite dishes from my childhood is shipwreck caserole. It is the simplest of dinners. Just layer: 2 T butter; four or five potatoes, sliced; sliced onions; ground beef, raw; salt and pepper; one can of tomato soup and one can of pork and beans. Bake in 375 degree oven for 1-1/2 hours.
Albertson's had Campbell's tomato soup on sale for 50 cents a can a couple of months ago. While picking up a case, I told a fellow shopper about this wonderful recipe for which I need tomato soup. She said it sounded very easy but wondered about the amount of fat left in the caserole from the ground beef. It got me thinking about all the fat that I drain out of the cooked beef when I make other dishes. . .eeew. That, and the potatoes had been quite mushy and greasy the last time I had made it.
Last night I tried something different. After layering the butter and potatoes, I cooked them in the microwave oven for 9 minutes. I browned the beef with the onions and some green bell pepper (darn, another dish to wash. oh, well) and spooned out the drippings. I finished layering the caserole then baked for 25 minutes.
With the cooking time greatly reduced as well as the fat content, it was all around a better dinner.

2 comments:

Michelle Wright said...

YUMMY!!!!!!! Made me hungry.

Lisa said...

This sounds so good!! I want to try it. I love your blog and the pictures that you use. The kids are all so cute. How is everything going?